The Magic of Being Home.

Being home, in comfortable, rustic, sleepy suburbia, with its vegetable stands, pumpkin displays, open roads flanked with the red, yellow, brown towering oak trees of early autumn - is magical in the Fall.

Knowing where I'm going without a GPS is also quite magical. This cloudy, grey morning I ran an important errand. I took myself to Bank of America to finally get a temp card, encountering the first Connecticut roundabout I've ever seen along the way. It wasn't fully constructed yet so I had to take a quick detour to get to the bank, but I knew where I was going and that was very comforting. Familiarity is an old friend.


I watched HTGAWM OnDemand this afternoon, curled up on the couch in my flannel with a hot cup of caramel macchiato warming my hands in my grandmas' old mug . The season premiere didn't quite have me jumping on the edge of my seat like I wanted it to, but I'm still going to watch this season (as it's the only scripted Fall TV show that I regularly watch besides Stranger Things and I have to wait until 10/27 for that to drop!)

Later, my childhood friend, Courtney, picked me up for some retail therapy in the local mall area. I took advantage of some gift cards that had been warming my wallet for awhile and picked up a Northface raincoat and some unbelievably cozy Cabin Socks from Dicks. I can't believe I've never tried those socks before. They're infused with aloe and come in a billion patterns and colors and just look like the epitome of what one would wear on their feet while warming them by a roaring fire. We popped into Bath & Body Works where we lost our minds smelling every single autumn candle we could get our hands on. Taking advantage of the 2 for $24 candle sale is something even the strongest of us can't resist *plus I had a $15 gift card* so I walked away with Cider Lane (a literal caramel apple in a candle jar) and Hot Cocoa & Cream (so authentically chocolate-y that I swear they melted down a batch of brownies and poured it in the wax).

Last but not least, we hit up Ulta, a cornucopia of my deepest loves. Self-care and skin-care go together like PB&J (both of which I'm trying to work so much harder on). Courtney was downright horrified - rightly so - when I told her I hadn't used a facewash in several months and my moisturizer consisted exclusively of coconut oil. I'm trying this Pacifica Facewash and Probiotic Cream because they're vegan, cruelty-free, and I've been wanting to try probiotics in my skincare for a little while now.


Little did I know, my rockstar mother was out grocery shopping and buying me some skin care because she also took great pity on my complete lack thereof. So I went from 0 to 100 on the skincare front, real quick. I'm a-okay with that and over the moon to try out this St. Ives face cream, St. Ives Oatmeal Scrub/Mask, and this Basis Facewash! 


Now I am back in my cozy couch spot, the sounds of college football from the TV calming me as night falls, my familys' pup was just chasing her tennis ball like crazy, and I've caught up on several blogs that give me happiness and all good feels. I'll settle in in a bit to continue reading The Handmaids Tale, a novel I've been working on since I just finished the Hulu drama last week.

City life is fun. It's exciting, fast-paced, brimming with things to see, eat, and be a part of, people to connect with, and events to attend. But my personality is one that can only handle so much noise at a time. And taking this weekend to come home and tune out was exactly what I needed.

No comments