ART THERAPY


I don't know what was wrong with me yesterday but I was having an epic existential meltdown. Maybe I was over tired. Maybe I was over worked (I had to stay after work an extra half hour because I'm an overachieving employee...). I don't know but yesterday when my boyfriend came home from work he found me sitting on the floor of the living, pouting, and whining about how life is so short and I'm not going to be able to accomplish everything I want to do.

~ PAUSE ~

I try as hard as I can to flood my life with optimism and positive thinking. I don't know what is getting into me, but I think it might be the bitter cold yesterday and the dread of the next few months of winter and class that is getting under my skin. I need to find a way to address this and deal with it ASAP.

~ UNPAUSE ~

So my boyfriend and mother were obviously a little bit worried about me as I sat there stewing in my puddle of self pity and helplessness.

I have three adult coloring books and got a case of art supplies for my birthday so my boyfriend went and got those and we started coloring. I wasn't really interested in the coloring books actually; they're supposed to be zen inducing but sometimes they honestly stress me out. I'm someone who loves to finish something once I start it and all of those intricate details make it impossible to finish a single picture in one go. So I got some white printer paper and starting drawing and smudging on those with a set of colorful pastels.

And within about 45 minutes, I felt so much more calmmmmmm.

My phone was in the other room charging so I actually didn't check it once while we were getting artsy in the kitchen. So this is my advice:

UNPLUG & CREATE.

I can't tell you how wonderful it felt for 45 solid minutes to not be checking my phone and to be spending quality time (albeit silent, since I was so focused on what I was doing) to sit and create something in the space of two other humans whom I love. I can't tell you the last time I just drew pictures and colored outside of the lines.

No comments