When We Choose Joy.


What is it that most in this world brings you to life? You know the feeling. Time passes so quickly that you almost forget to take picture to Instagram it. And why do we make so many excuses to not schedule more of these things into our days?

 This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about.

 I love to dance, hike, and see new places. I love curling up with a book and writing in my journal.

 Then why haven’t I taken a dance class in over a year? How come this weekend was the first time I’ve been hiking in months? I don’t know where my next trip or vacation will be to.

 I just got a library card, so I’m doing way better at reading. But for a long (embarrassingly long) time, I was barely reading at all. I only write in my journal when something dramatic and upsetting happens.

 What is happening here?

 Why am I not taking the time or making the effort to delight my senses, to bring myself daily, weekly, yearly joys?

 It isn’t like I lead a joyless life. But it seems like sometimes less important, meaningless, menial things (ahem, social media) take center stage and I blackout on these magical, joy-filled ingredients in favor of the “fast food” version of self-entertainment. 

 How about I stop doing that???

 What happens when we choose joy? We open ourselves up to the wonders of our own personal enjoyment. What brings you joy may be vastly different than what brings me joy. That’s part of the magic. Everyone has slightly different ingredients here. We all make a different recipe. But when everyone makes a different recipe, we have a killer, joy-filled potluck and everyone is havin’ a good old time.

I’ll bring the sangria. You bring the pasta salad. When everyone is reveling in their joy, everyone wins. 

No comments