When Something Just Doesn't Feel Right

Today I'm writing from the desk where I sit each day during school hours, except all the kids are gone and school hours are over.

I'm writing here because school gets out at 3pm and I have to shadow a study session in Newton at 5pm for the new job I just got! As of Thursday (because that's when I start tutoring solo) I will officially be a fancy shmancy executive functioning tutor!

This is actually my favorite part of working with my students, and a huge part of why I realize I want to get my Masters in School Counseling. In my opinion, everyone has executive functioning deficits but that is another long post for another day! Today I'm here to write about things that just don’t feel right.

Once you get out of the school system, finish up high school and get that college degree, there are literally so many options. And it never fails to blow my mind how most people (unmarried, without kids, without more difficult life circumstances) have the ability to just completely change their life if they want to. Its almost like being drunk with power. You are so powerful in the control room of your life. So am I!

But sometimes it doesn't feel like that. Sometimes you feel trapped or cornered or bullied or compliant in a situation that just doesn't feel right. Maybe there's nothing obviously wrong about it. Your relationship is... okay. Your job is... okay. Your apartment is... okay.



But these major components of your life are not sparking joy. They might drain you - mentally, emotionally, physically. And I'm telling you that I'm right there with you and its going to be okay. Because the beauty about life is that nothing lasts forever, neither good or bad or just mediocre.

Often the first step to change is recognizing that you are unhappy. So if something just doesn't feel right, and maybe you cant explain it, run with that. Try to unpack it. Journal it out. Figure out what the soul suck is and figure out measurable, reasonable, realistic steps that you can take to change it!

That's what I'll be doing. 

No comments