What I Loved In October!

I don't know how this happened, but I blinked and October was over. This month was even worse than September! There's something about the tumultuous nature of the last three months of the year - preparing for Halloween, planning for Thanksgiving, picking out the perfect gifts for Christmas - that makes it all pass in a whirlwind.


That's why I'm soooo glad that I'm blogging again, so I can try to keep track of all these little moments and details. Like my favoriteeeee:

Books
I got really into poetry again this month, with the re-discovery of my Kindle which had several poetry books downloaded onto it! My favorite by far was salt, by Nayirrah Waheed I guarantee you've heard at least one iconic poem from this moving collection, but it's worth it to sit down and read the entire thing cover to cover. I highlighted so many poems, I feel like I need to go back and read it all again.

Podcasts
A major reason that I survive my commute to and from work is a variety of podcasts. I've been loving Ghost of a Podcast, which bridges astrology, life advice, and social justice with no bullshit! Jessica Lanyadoo is a bad bitch/witch and it comes out every Sunday so that you can have an idea of what the cosmos has in store for your week.

Show/Movie
Honestly, The Voice. I am a sucker for a reality competition show, and now that Big Brother and The Bachelor are over (for now), I am committed to this show. I love the judges (Kelly Clarkson is adorable) and the talent in un-freaking-belieavable. The difference between The Voice and American Idol is ridiculous. If you think American Idol is whack (which I do), give this show a chance. The tears will roll.

Music
This has been a month of lots of musical discoveries. My taste is all over the place, so these are just a few. Maggie Rogers is a goddess. I recommend her songs Alaska, Dog Years, Light On, and Fallingwater. Or just all of them. I was supposed to go see her this weekend in Portland but it got moved to March because she booked SNL!

Shakey Graves is more rock/folk with the sickest guitar skills. I haven't listened to much of his music, but my favorite song so far is Roll The Bones. It's great driving music for this season.

And lastly, Gregory Alan Isakov has the most soothing folky, autumnal music. His song, Big Black Car, will always evoke so much nostalgia in me because that was the first song I danced to for dance company auditions back when I was a freshman in college!

Life hack
Using coconut oil spray as body lotion and a leave-in (then wash-out) hair treatment. I heard this on a podcast recently and my mind was utterly blown that I hadn't thought of it myself.


Costume Theme 
Soooo all of the high school staff at my school decided to be Harry Potter characters for Halloween this year (my idea). I think I made a pretty great Professor Trelawney with an entire costume found at Goodwill.Umbridge walked around scolding children and writing educational decrees, and Gilderoy Lockhart gave out autographed headshots to anyone who asked (or didn't ask).  It pretty much made my wildest dreams come true.

Have a spooky Halloween & a great first day of November tomorrow!

No comments