That's What She Read

One of my goals in August was to read two books for pleasure and one book to gain some knowledge. I may not have gained any new or pertinent knowledge, but I did read two really good books that I want to share!


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
This was is an oldie but a goodie. I've actually read this book before, a few years ago. I think I got a lot more out of it this time around. It's wild how life experiences can make books so much more vivid to you. In case you live under a rock (aka have never heard of this book or major motion picture), here's the plot line summed up: 

Liz Gilbert is a successful journalist whose marriage falls apart and she loses her way in life. Through a self-induced journey of long terms stays in Italy, India, and Indonesia, she finds pleasure, religion, and love, and through these things, finds herself.  

My favorite quote


Take-away: I'm not sure how this book impacted me the first time I read it, but this time it gave me SEVERE wanderlust. I don't know if it was the healthy kind either. I would find myself close to tears some nights reading it thinking how unfair life is that I can't afford to live in Italy for three months. So if you haven't been on a real vacation in over a year (raising my hand over here!) then have caution.

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
This was my second book by this author and let me tell you, I'm OBSESSED. Her writing style is so quick, yet rich with imagery. Here's my version of what went down in this crazy novel:

Celia is a successful wife, mother, and business-person. By pure accident, she discovers a letter that her husband wrote her, to be opened in the event of his death and of course, she opens it. The aftermath changes her life, and her family's life, forever. 

There's no way I'm giving too much of the plot away, because this book is juicy and the ending is wild. So much happens in the last few chapters.

My favorite quote: 


Take-away: I honestly liked Big Little Lies more, but this book was still great and kept me on the edge of my seat. I love the mystery elements to this book, but found it interesting that we knew "who done it" from the beginning, and we were just waiting to see what the tragic outcome would be. It was much different than I anticipated! We learn that it is sometimes the innocent ones who have to pay for our mistakes... dun dun DUNNNNN.


If you're looking for a review/recap of Big Little Lies (because yes, it was just that good!) look no further.


What great books have you read recently?
What do you think I should read next? 

Leave a comment, it means so much for me to actively engage with anyone awesome enough to start a conversation on this blog!

Follow afloat on a full sea on Bloglovin 

No comments