FF - Let's have a magic lesson


August began on a Monday and if that isn't inspiration to start the final month of summer on a productive and motivational note, I'm not sure what is.

This week has been jam-packed, full to the brim with new activities and new perspectives. My summer dance classes began on Monday and I also picked up a new Spin class on Monday afternoon (because I hate being stagnant AKA because I don't know how to say no).

Here are some cool things to click on and some highlights from this week!


01) My new Spin class is on Mondays at 4:45pm, which is, in my opinion, the best Spin class time we offer. When I finished teaching my (sweaty, thigh-burning, heart thumping) class it was just turning 5:30. I let my class out ecstatically proclaiming, "it's only 5:30! You have so much time for activities!" They may have given me strange looks, but I know they were damn excited about how early in the evening they'd finished their workout.

02) The Magic Lessons podcast with Liz Gilbert has been somewhat life changing. You can read more about that here if you want! Essentially, I've always been a creative person - but this podcast is challenging my notions of creativity and finding my true and authentic voice. It's only a matter of time before I get my hands on her book about it. It also doesn't hurt that her voice could soothe the most colicky baby to sleep, she laughs at the end of half of her sentences, and she features such inspiring women as Cheryl Strayed and Rayya Elias.

03) Big Brother again! I am almost totally caught up on this season (because I watched over 15 episodes in 5 days this week...) and this season is not disappointing! It is wild. No one is afraid to make big moves. Any other season, it would have taken weeks and weeks to get Frank out of the house. Putting some experienced players into this season definitely pushed everyone to play a more aggressive game. I love it, and I am not ashamed of my reality TV obsession, no I am not!

04) This Instagram feed. I'm allowed to be spiritual, creative, and still completely and totally shallow, aren't I? That is a central theme of this blog, after all. Meghan Rienks' Instagram feed is a blogger's dream. My God, so pleasing to the eye. I don't really care if every photo is a staged, contrived, piece of utter bullshit. I enjoy every one of her photos, and she also seems like as down-to-earth a person can be who has achieved unbelievable Internet success.

05) Planning for my dance classes is something that I slacked on beyond words last year. I was unprepared for every. single. class. Since participating in the Dance Teacher Summit in New York City last week, my inspiration for teaching is reinvigorated. I have a soft leather Moleskin with grid pages that is perfect for planning out every minute detail of my classes. I am 5/5 so far this summer.

06) This song has been a favorite for my modern dance classes. I heard it at the Summit and the hairs on the backs of my arms stood on end. I haven't heard anything quite so heart aching in a long time - it brought me straight back to a time when love was truly infatuation. The artists' voice reminds me a bit of Sigur Ros or Jonsi. Listen with your eyes closed.

07) You know what can really warm your heart on a chilly August morning? When a coworker unexpectedly surprises you with your favorite kind of iced coffee. This may have happened only half an hour ago, but it's still allowed to be a favorite in my book.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How was your week? 
Do you have any Instagram feeds that just tickle your fancy? 
Do you have any invigorating podcasts to share?
I've been so into listening to podcasts this week! That goal for this month is going strong. 

Leave a comment, it means so much for me to actively engage with anyone awesome enough to visit my little 'ol blog! 

Follow afloat on a full sea on Bloglovin! 

No comments