The Friday Five

My mid-week mental health day made this week pretty much fly by. I may have just switched up my schedule up the teensiest bit, but feel like I had a completely new structure to my week!

This week was a tough, weird, emotional week for a lottttt of people. Half the country, probably. So I want to bring a smidge of joy to my blog with 5 things that made me smile (and possibly a lil teary eyed) this week, and 5 things I have left to accomplish before 2016 is over. Because I'm the ultimate overachiever in most of what I do.



5 THINGS THAT MADE ME SMILE: 

1. The unimaginable joy of watching a little baby get bigger and bigger each day, and the equally soft mushy feeling of when that baby falls asleep in your arms/on your lap. CANNOT HANDLE. L's twin sister has their mom babysit pretty often since she's retired, and since we are always over their house... we get lots of baby face time. And I am not complaining because look at that face.


2. The reward of being a dance teacher. I said it before and I'll say it again - dance teachers make a gigantic difference in shaping the kids they work with. One of my pre-teen dance students has had unreal attitude problems all year - until last night.

She worked hard, she was mostly quiet, I could tell she was focused. I pulled her aside after class and told her how proud I was of her and how she has the power in her personality to completely change the whole attitude of the class; when she works hard, we all work hard. I looked at her and said, "did you feel the difference tonight? you created that positive energy." She tries to portray herself as this tough girl, but she got glossy eyed, and I did too.

I gave her a hug then found out later that she had excelled in all of her classes that night, despite a rocky home life and the odds stacked against her. Our belief in her, I hope, makes such a huge difference.

3. Almost every single person on our staff at work signed up in the break room to participate in Secret Santa 2016! The price point is only $10, but it's still so fun to give and get a lil surprise around the holidays!

4. I found a heavy duty thermos that keeps liquids hot up to 12 hours! The only problem is that now I think my coffee is still piping hot three hours later and I'm scared to sip it.

5. Despite despite despite the results of the election, I have seen a lot of people rising up to be even better versions of themselves. My female friends swearing that this is going to make them more politically active and aware, my young dance students taking interest in social issues, and countless bloggers and influencers giving resources and where to donate your time and money if and when things start to go south. In particular, this blog post of 9 actionable things you can do.


5 THINGS LEFT TO ACCOMPLISH IN 2016:


1. Tour college campuses. Cambridge and Keene, I'm coming for you.

2. Seriously seriously seriously stick to my budget. Which basically just means spend money on as few things as humanly possible.

3. Finalize my road map of 2017. Beautiful, grande, somewhat unrealistic blog post in the drafts for next month.

4. Submit grad school applications on or before NYE. Because if that doesn't say, hell yeah to 2017, I don't really know what does.

5. Ring in my birthday in a better way than an awkward Margarita's dinner, ring in the New Year in a better way than passed out, alone, on an acquaintances basement couch. Yes, both of those happened last year.

No comments