The Friday Five

Another week comes to a close and we tiptoe nearer and nearer to the end of the year.

Is that horrifying to anyone else?

This year just went by so fast. I'm at the age where I've been out of school for a significant amount of time and the years are just starting to blend together because I don't have any markers to classify them with. It's not "Crazy Junior Year" anymore, it's just... another year.

This week's theme was getting some shit done that's been sitting on my to-do list for a longggggg time. Isn't that the best freakin feeling? Ahh, the relief of crossing it off the list and asking myself why it took me so damn long to just bring myself to do it because it literally took two minutes. Laziness.

Here are five things that brought me joy, frustration, and empowerment throughout the week - or just five random things I want to talk about.


Registering to vote. The last time I voted in a presidential election I was living on campus in Bristol, RI. So not until very recently did I realize I'm not a registered voter in CT. Oops! The deadline to register in CT was November 1st, so naturally this is the date that I registered online. With the psychosis of this election happening in literally four days, it was absolutely necessary.

As a young American, I'm truly distraught over the state of this election. But there's nothing we can do because it's happening whether we want it to or not. Adios Obama. It's been cool, homie.


Mint. Something came over me this month and I decided to take control of my finances. At 23? I know, it's unheard of. After trying to figure out my budget on paper and then downloading 7 different apps (all of which I tried using for 4 minutes and then deleted), I finally settled on Mint.

Mint links up to all of your accounts and breaks down all your spending from past months so you can really see where it's all going. Personally, I'm disgusted and horrified with myself.

Six trips to CVS, and an unnecessary $200 spent at TJMaxx later...

It's time for me to start adulting and take control. So I've set up several budgets for myself, what I want to put into savings, and a master plan for paying off my credit card that involves transferring the balance to a new card that has a $0 balance transfer fee and 0% APR for the first 15 months and... a whole bunch of other super adult things like that.

It's overwhelming. But it feels good.


Why is older music so much better? I'm not sure what radio station I was listening to, but back to back two amazing throwbacks came on - Whatever You Like by T.I. and 3AM by Matchbox Twenty. Omg, does music of today suck or what? I don't know if it's because these throwbacks bring me so much nostalgia or because they actually are THAT much better.

But please!!! If you're going to leave a comment, tell me what your absolute favorite throwbacks are. From the 90's and 00's, I need to know.


Obsessing over my nails. I told myself I'd never be one of those girls who gets gel nails over and over again because then you become a slave to getting your nails done.

But here I am. And my nails are shiny as hell. And I'm damn happy about it.


Glitter phone cases - thoughts? My Lifeproof case is actually falling apart. Every week some aspect of it breaks. So regardless, it's time for a new phone case.

The problem? My phone hits pavement at least once per day.

But ooooh, I'm so jealous of those girls with the cute phone cases. The ones with pineapples and cacti on them. And cheeky little sayings. And the hard plastic ones that probably offer zero protection but have those floating sparkles and glitter suspended in a mysterious liquid that drift back and forth back and forth... mesmerizing.

Does a version of this that might actually protect my phone exist? I'm not sure. Amazon reviews tell me "probably not". The hunt continues.


That's all for my week. This is the first weekend in a long time that I just want to chill and don't have a myriad of plans. Ya girl is also trying to save dat money, so.

The only thing on the radar is a celebration of a long time friends' 26th birthday at a bowling alley that plays loud music and serves alcohol. The last time we went here we ordered probably over $200 worth of food and dranks. I may be trying to save money, but don't think I didn't factor mozzarella sticks into my budget. It's there.

Happy Friday!

No comments