Look Back At It (2016)

The year is coming to a close. As we all know, and as many of us feel, 2016 was not a super popular year. I cannot sit here and complain about my menial tragedies, knowing of the heartache and sadness going on in the world on a daily basis.

All we can do is continue being kind to one another, giving up our time, and doing what we can in even the smallest of ways. And I think that we're only in the capacity to do that when we're acting and living as our best selves.

In 2016, I was not my best self.

Depression gripped ahold of me again in the winter months (likely seasonal affective disorder, super fun), I wasted money on a college pre-requisite that I didn't need, my relationship went through drastic ups and downs, I won't even begin to get political but.. you know. And I failed to begin graduate school in September AGAIN. I don't know how many more times I can do this.

Alas. Alas alas alas. A wise person once said:
You can't drive forward by looking in the rearview mirror. 
So we're gonna live like this for 2017. But in order to assure myself that the past 365 days were not, in fact, a wash... here is a recap of what I was able to accomplish in 2016. No matter how small it may feel, it is, in fact, worth something.

January
- took a Yoga class, celebrated a dogs birthday party, went to a fancy restaurant, built a bookcase
- went ice skating in Bushnell Park
- made a vision board
Februrary
- surprised L with a custom license plate for his bday
- house sitted (sat?) for a week
- highlighted my whole head with blonde (effectively destroying my hair, lol)
- got Spinning certified!

March
- took my first Zumba class
- went out to lunch instead of attenting a St. Paddy's Day parade because I belong in a retirement home, went for a day trip to Rhode Island
- bought a car!


April
- took a Rhode Island vacation and performed a dance piece at my alma mater!
- took my first BodyPump class
- went hiking and grilled outside for the first time since the deep freeze
- went to a wacky antique shop and a Polish festival all in one day
- took a Spinning class taught by an unbelievably inspiring guy with cerebral palsy


May 
- ran the furthest I've ever run (4.5 miles) as I started training for a 10K
- visited the flowers and gardens in Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- went for a weekend trip to NYC for L's cousin's graduation party
- saw Finding Neverland on Broadway!
- wore a bathing suit and went to a lake for the first time since winter



June 
- took an accelerated summer anatomy course that I didn't end up needing...
- attended a baby shower
- performed in and witnessed my dance studio's annual recital!
- spent a lot of time studying but still managed to do so over amazing pizza and a glass of white sangria...
- did a Night Nation 5K!
- went to my first food truck festival!
- grilled hot dogs and jumped off a cliff at a swimming hole/waterfall



July 
- made red, white, and blue jello shots
- went stand up paddle boarding!
- had lunch on Martha's Vineyard
- hosted a cook out
- visited a lakehouse with my extended family
- visited L's sister in the hospital right after she gave birth
- went to the Dance Teacher Summit in NYC!



August
- ran in a Blacklight 5K with some of my good friends
- took my first barre class! 
- spent 17 hours in the ER
- started teaching summer dance classes, my FAVORITE time to teach!

September
- went to a butterfly garden for the first time! 
- went to wedding at the Bronx zoo
- went to quite a few Farmer's markets
- went to The Big E in West Springfield, MA!


October
- dyed my hair pink! 
- went to a crazy dance performance with puppets, costumes, and stilts!
- went to a happy hour and got completely wasted before 7pm
- took a drive on an amazing scenic route of southern Connecticut
- went to a Halloween party and visited Salem, MA! 


November
- took my dog for a LOT of walks
- got my nose pierced
- made Christmas cards for veterans
- went out to a bar on Thanksgiving Eve like a cool twenty-something!
- spent Thanksgiving Day with two families


December
- celebrated one year of blogging!
- went to SantaCon in New York City!
- visited the infamous Christmas House in Torrington, CT
- dyed my hair red red red
- went out to dinner with my parents and L for my birthday
- got a Kindle! can't wait to read literally everything


The verdict is still out on how I'm choosing to ring in the new year. Odds are it won't be at home in jammies this time. I truly feel like that was a bad omen for my entire year.

The year may have felt empty, but it does look pretty full.

But here's to being our best selves in 2017, yeah?
What is your favorite thing you did in 2016?

No comments