Reflecting on 2016.

2015 was one of the best years of my life. You can read all about that here.

I think I've been having trouble writing blog posts this week because I don't have anything inspiring or poetic or motivational to say about 2016, like I did this time last year. My recap of the year is right here, so you can see what I actually did... but it's harder to explain how I feel.

I feel like 2016 was a year filled with grappling for things to do to pass the time, for making plans and then failing to execute them, or for not making plans at all. I am frustrated that I wasted 8 weeks on a course that I didn't end up needing. I am frustrated that I put so much energy into pursuing a grad school program that I realized wasn't right for me. I am frustrated that I am still living with my parents in Connecticut. I am frustrated that I'm in such bad credit card debt.

So 2016 was quite a frustrating year. 

And not just for me, I think a vast majority of people share these bitter feelings towards 2016.

I've already written a whole entire roadmap for 2017 and my 24th year... but this is what I want for myself in 2017...

I want to try new things and say yes to experiences.
I want to stop stressing out so much about money.
I want to be valued in my employment position more than I am now.
I want to be present in my interactions with other people.
I want to be a kind and gentle and calm and funny person.
I want to be less judgmental of things and people, even if I don't agree with them.
I want to travel so badly that it's an ache in my chest that will not go away.

How are you going to make your fresh start better than before? What are actionable things that you're actually DOING?

Let's learn from our mistakes and, if we had a year that we aren't proud of, let's do what we can to make this next one the best.

No comments