The Friday Five

This week was just as full as previous weeks, and damn, it flew by.

Guess what, there's six things I want to talk about this Friday because rules are made to be broken! (but friday five just has a certain ring to it, so that's what the title shall remain). We're really living life on the edge over here.


The first snow. Does the first snow always happen in October? I feel like that's just the way Connecticut rolls.

I was eating my lunch in the break room - which is basically a closet with some cubbies in it - when my assistant manager BURST in. SNOW! SNOW! he excitedly pointed out of our giant windows at the front of the gym. I threw my hands up in disbelief. My quinoa salad went flying.

Fat flakes rained down from the sky. I moaned dramatically. So soon! I can't even believe it! But deep down inside, I love the first few snows. It's magical every year. So what if I'm still four years old. Until it's still snowing in May. Then Mother Nature can stop showing off. OVER IT.


Window shopping. As in obsessively searching websites for the perfect fall sweaters, putting them in my cart, then never checking out. Does anyone else do this? Sometimes this is enough to satisfy my shopping cravings and sometimes I lose it and pull that trigger... sometimes I go trigger happy and place a mass order of BABW candles. #NoRegrets. But I AM on the hunt for the perfect, budget-friendly, super soft sweaters and I think I'm going to check out Old Navy sometime this weekend. Wish me luck.


Lovesick by Banks. This is my immediate favorite off of my all-time favorite singers new album.

It's achy, lovey, dark, and gooey. It's everything that I want out of a Banks song. It makes me crave that obsessive, unhealthy lovesick feeling you get at the veryyyy beginning of a relationship. I mean, looking back, that feeling is always kind of icky and addictive. People lose themselves in that feeling. Like I loose myself in this song.


No make-up, no problem.
Alicia Keys is maybe on to something. I've been going PRETTY MUCH make-up free for the past week. It's been sort of liberating forcing people to look at my oily T-zone and acne scarring. Listen, when you wake up at 4am, there are some sacrifices that have to be made. Obviously hitting snooze twice is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Looking put together is!

Not only that, but I have no desire to put on make-up when I do have time. It just seems a little bit like a waste of time if all I'm doing is going to work, working out, then teaching dance classes. Why clog my pores to impress a bunch of senior citizens on treadmills and 8 year olds? So my natural skin has actually been looking pretty damn good!


Whitney Simmons. This Youtuber is literally life changing. She is bubbly, quirky, high energy, and yes, slightly annoying in the way a chihuahua is slightly annoying. But she sure knows her shit about fitness.

She does SHORT, to the point workout videos using gym equipment that I actually like. I've had enough of the "27 minutes, you can do it anywhere, body weight workouts" that are all over the place. I do actually enjoy picking things up and putting them down. Girls can lift too!

So far I've done her back and biceps, chest and triceps, and legs and booty videos. I really like this order and workout schedule for myself and today I plan on doing one of her shoulder and ab videos. Abs are made in the winter (I made that up, they're made in the kitchen but I'd honestly rather make brownies in the kitchen).



Being a dance teacher. Being a dance teacher is so many things. It's exhausting. It's exciting. It's frustrating. But sometimes it's so, so sweet.

Yesterday was my last batch of classes for the week. I teach 7 classes total Monday through Thursday. On Thursdays I teach 3 back to back. It ain't easy but someone's gotta do it. I had to toss back a cup of coffee just to drag myself into the dance studio. Before the class started, I was playing music, deciding what to work on in the class, when two of the little girls in my beginner class came into the room. And they absolutely melted my heart.

I watched them, slightly concerned, "making up a dance" by throwing themselves around to the music I was playing - on the ground, around the room, onto each other.

"Try not to tire yourselves out you guys, class hasn't even started!"

I said, looking at the clock and scowling because it was 5:07 and every other damn kid in the class was late.

"I just love to dance so much Miss Danielle, it makes me so happy."

Cue heart melting into a puddle on the floor. This is why I do this, I thought as I gave this little girl a hug and tried to hide my teary eyes. Thank you Kailin, for the sweet reminder. But cartwheels are still not allowed in modern class.

No comments