It's just a bunch of Hocus Pocus!

When a weekend isn't rejuvenating enough, can we please get a do-over?...

Friday night was for relaxing, but Saturday was filled with a wild goose chase for costume supplies, my aunt's 50th birthday celebration, and a Halloween house party with decorations worth an Academy Award.

Then on Sunday we went to Salem, along with what felt like everyone else in New England. It was crowded af but it was magical in its chaos and a beautiful day to walk around. A section of street was completely shut down and packed to the brim with tents, vendors, mayhem, and people dressed in the BEST costumes I've ever seen.

I swear, L and I impressed ourselves with our Fairly Odd Parents costume from Saturday night, but we were nothing compared to these people. They do Halloween and they do it HARD.


We took in all of the insane stimuli - the ghosts, ghouls, creeps, creatures, and characters - as we walked all the way through the downtown area, popping into authentic witch shops and picking up some magical crystals and loose tea leaves, guaranteeing to aid with anxiety, bring good luck, and increase immunity. Bippity boppity boo.


Once we looped around, we found the Witch Dungeon Museum and watched a re-enactment of Elizabeth Proctor's witch trial. The history of the witch trials is actually fascinating, and something that I can't believe I didn't know more about. I actually used to be obsessed with witches as a young child... no, I'm not sure how much supervision my parents were giving me when I visited the town library...


We were then led into the re-creation of the actual witch dungeon, where as many as 200 people were held during the witch hysteria of 1692. The actual dungeon was found completely preserved in the 50's but DESTROYED.

What were they thinking?!

The Crucible hadn't been written yet (which really brought all the witch fame to the town) and the people living there were more than a little bit embarrassed that their ancestors convicted hundreds of people and hanged twenty in fifteen months of terror and chaos. Fortunately, one of the support beams from the original structure was kept by a demolition worker and donated to the museum. I touched it with my bare hand. Hopefully no spirits followed me home to Connecticut...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

And also, happy last day of October. Since my goals for October were a little bit different than my previous months (and I honestly loved it), this is what I learned this month.

I can't drink like I used to. Did you read this embarrassing account of me losing my shit at happy hour? My body is old and sleep deprived and I get drunk 700x faster than I did back in college. Oh, the good old days. I can still have a nice little adult beverage, but let's limit it to two. Our wallets and our livers will be much happier.

Having pink hair doesn't make you more fun, but it definitely doesn't hurt. In October I decided it'd be fun and different to dye my hair this pretty rosy color. It's faded a little bit, but I've been loving it. It's helped me to not take my appearance so seriously and also make me feel a little bit like a unicorn, which is of course my true calling.

Adventures come in all shapes and sizes. L and I went on some fantastic adventures this month, and I couldn't be happier. I think I've succeeded in finally giving him the adventure bug! We've been going to farmer's markets, on scenic road trips, and it was HIM who suggested we go to Salem this weekend! We're in the process of making a list of all the day trips in driving distance we want to try and go to. He even coined the term "Adventure Sunday". I couldn't be more of a proud mama bear. But adventures do come in all shapes and sizes and a relaxing drive through farmland is just as magical as a long weekend trip to Savannah. The small magic of our October adventures reminded me of this.

Being sore all week is a feeling that I missed. For the past two weeks I've been hitting the gym HARD, the way that I used to. My body is tired, aching, and craving my bed when I clock off from my shift but I suck it up like the cry baby that I am, change into my "gym leggings" (not to be confused with my "work leggings") and get my work out in. And my body loves being sore. Now I just have to shit up the Vitamin Shoppe and get some BCAA's so that sore feeling doesn't turn into not being able to walk down stairs for four days straight.

November 1st is tomorrow and while I honestly cannot believe this year is flying by so quickly, I am so excited to begin the holiday season this year. Adios October, you were pretty great.

No comments