Body Pump damn near killed me.

Yes, and this is not an exaggeration.

So yesterday I took my first Body Pump class after hearing about it from all these wonderful middle-aged personal trainer bloggers with kids and houses who 100% look like they have their lives together.

I wanna be like that, I thought.

I'll try Body Pump, I thought.

My friend and ex-coworker teaches this class up in Enfield so my boyfriend drove me 40 minutes north to have my ass handed to me on a silver platter.



The class began with a full body barbell warm-up that had me thinking "what the hell did I get myself into"

Followed by six minutes of squats. 

Followed by doubting whether or not I'm actually in any kind of shape at all.

With a sprinkle of muscles burning in a way they never have before.

And a dash of a shoulder track that I LITERALLY COULD NOT FINISH. There were grandmothers in there absolutely slaying and I couldn't even lift 5 lb. hand weights above my head. I wish I was kidding.

This was all accompanied by me scrambling with my barbell in between tracks trying to add weight and then take it off because LOLZ I have no muscle strength apparently.

Lunges for a whole, entire song. 5 seconds of rest in between sets. That's sufficient. (no it's not).

It was a full body barbell workout that lasted an HOUR with a killer set of abs thrown in at the end. Just for fun. Or actually to make you cry. You choose.

All jokes aside though, this was honestly one of the best group classes I've ever done. It was super high intensity, high reps, and low weight (even though they ended up feeling like a billion pounds after a four minute song with no rest time).

Each major muscle group gets a full song (or more) of work with minimal rest and short active recovery.

Maybe it's because I mostly just do cardio endurance focused exercise now with my Spinning class obsession and being a Spin instructor, but omfg, did this class make me realize how depleted my muscles are.

I will 100% be taking this class again.

It was hard core and awesome. 



No comments