One year since Costa Rica.

A year ago, one of my best friend's Shawn and I decided basically last minute to go to Costa Rica.

I initiated this whole craziness. I was really going through some happiness issues at the time and had never been out of the country before. I decided, you know what? Why not? The time is now? I was only working part time so it wasn't hard to get the time off.

And off we went.

It's been almost exactly a year since Costa Rica, and my oh my, my life has changed since. You only have one life to live, so I took a chance where I saw it and I leaped, hoping the net would catch me. And dragged Shawn along with me. And we had a crazy, out of this world, once (well, hopefully not just once) in a lifetime experience.

One year since Costa Rica...



One year since hula hooping lessons on the beach,




one year since afternoon naps in rainforest hammocks,


 one year since white water rafting...



one year since greeting every sunset and sunrise with open arms...


one year since staying in Costa Rica hostel with my best friend, no TV, no privacy, and a mattress on the floor constantly covered in sand...


one year since befriending adorable stray dogs on the beaches...


one year since rainforest hikes in mudslides, loosing shoes and breaking sandals, with new friends...


one year since the best damn food I've ever eaten, every day, for breakfast lunch and dinner...


one year since Yoga on the beach was a casual good-morning...

one year since drinking out of coconuts...
one year since Costa Rica karaoke...
one year since random geckos on the walls...
one year since rappelling down a waterfall...
one year since winning Trivia Night and a beer tower...
one year since experiencing insane and terrifying Costa Rica driving customs...
one year since ziplining hundreds of feet above the rainforest floor, clenching my eyes shut, screaming at the top of my lungs, and feeling more alive than ever before...
one year since riding rented bikes through beach-side streets...

one year since we decided to live a full life, got on a plane, and flew to Central America to explore, laugh, learn, and grow. 

Travel isn't about the destination, but about the journey. I could not have asked for a more sweet or satisfying experience that all began one year ago, this week. These memories are full of light and love to me, something I will never forget and (despite the credit card balance I am still paying off) will never regret. 

Take a chance. Take the days off work. Save your money. Book your tickets. Your future self will thank you. I sure am. 



No comments