Are vacations the best, or actually the worst?!

The jury is out on whether going on vacation is the best thing ever, or actually, the WORST

I have a huge personal problem with readjusting my routine. I get very comfortable with doing things a certain way, no matter what the circumstances are, and disrupting that order seriously disrupts my life sometimes! For example, once I get into the routine of waking up for work at 4am every day, that's that. That's what I'm used to and that is the baseline upon which I am functioning. In contrast, when I go on vacation, that's all thrown out of whack. I can adjust quickly to an easier routine (sleeping in til 9am, not going to the gym, and going out for breakfast everyday? EASY.)

But readjusting to a more difficult routine? I haven't been in such great denial since my university forced me to graduate college.

I used to get so worked up about the imminent despair of returning to work after going on vacation that, at times, I couldn't even enjoy simply being on vacation! This is definitely something to meditate on, and the first bullet point I'll reflect on in how to survive returning to work/real life from vacation.



1. Be present while you're away. Nothing is going to ruin your peace and bliss and happy time like even giving a second thought to everything waiting at home for you. That doesn't exist in your current world. Stay safe in your vacation cocoon-bubble. It'll pop sooner or later. But not now. Sip your fruity drink, umbrella included, by the pool/ocean/mountain-side/in your kitchen. Clear your mind now because it's the only way to feel refreshed when you return to real life.

2. Readjust slowly, if possible. I am a huge fan of giving myself ONE very important buffer day in between vacation and real life. I'm back into reality, but just dipping my little toe in. I don't have work, but I do try to wake up a little bit earlier, schedule a doctor's appointment, and run some errands. Like I said, we aren't diving headfirst into work and responsibilities. But we are wading into the shallow end of shit we have to get done.

3. Resist denial and prepare yourself. I mentioned above my extreme denial of being forced to graduate college. I'll tell you what that denial caused me to do. Go out drinking at least three times a week, every week second semester and proceed to be hungover ALL THE TIME. Not apply for anything but the bare minimum of what I needed for internships. Not prepare a resume. Not apply to any jobs I was qualified for. Move back home with my parents, and proceed to work a bunch of shitty jobs that I hated. That is a huge scale example of what happens when you're in denial. Early in the day on your buffer day, do everything imaginable to make you first day back in real life as smooth as possible. Do all your laundry, fold it, and lay out your clothes for the next day. Pack your lunch and utensils. Shower and do your hair. Plan everything meticulously so that nothing can go wrong and you are smooth sailin'.

4. Approach your first day back feeling refreshed, recharged, and appreciated.  Let's break this one into those three main words.

  • Refreshed - If you usually see the same people every day at your job like I do, you feel excited and energized to see them again and catch up with their lives. You're engaged in your work again. Sometimes a couple of mental health days are all you need to fix that burnt out feeling that a lot of people get at work.
  • Recharged - Hopefully you were able to catch up on some quality sleep during your time off. Your eyes are clearer and brighter, and you have more energy because you've been able to fully charge up your battery to 100%. Adios red and yellow battery bars. 
  • Appreciated - If people in your real life/work environment value you as a person and employee, you should feel showered with appreciation when you return. Sometimes people need absence to understand how much they need and love someone. I hope you get this feeling when you return to real life! It's a good one! 
My vacation was only four days, but in all honestly, it felt like almost a week! I'm really trying to implement all of my own advice to make my transition back into real life and work more bearable today. But oooooh my goodness, how I miss sleepin' in in my cozy bed. Sorry but it's the truth! 

Does anyone out there have any neat advice for transitioning back to real life after a vacation away from it all? Lemme know in a comment below! 

No comments