If you aren't eating breakfast you are sabotaging yourself!


Since switching my hours drastically from second shift to the morning shift (5AM – 1PM) I’ve learned that breakfast is literally maybe (ok not literally but close) the most important thing you will do all day.

If I don’t pack breakfast I feel helpless, frantic, and exhausted by 10AM. This is why breakfast is literally your most important meal of the day and why, if you aren’t eating it, you’re sabotaging your metabolism, health, energy levels, and OVERALL HAPPINESS FOR THE WHOLE DAY.

 Yesterday morning I woke up at 4:00AM and didn’t drink water or eat anything until 9:00AM. SABOTAGE. I have literally not felt more sluggish or terrible in months. That is 5 hours of being awake without nourishment or hydration. Actually…

 When you don’t eat or drink anything upon waking up in the morning, you have to consider that your body is also going the whole time you’re sleeping without food or water. Soooo to do a bit of quick math, I get a little less than 6 hours of sleep a night (I know, it’s terrible). But my body went 11 hours without food or water yesterday. ELEVEN HOURS. I can’t stress to you how miserable I felt. The easiest thing to do, for me, is keep a bottle of water on your nightstand and take nice long, slow sips right the second you wake up. Your metabolism doesn’t start working until there’s food in your body to burn. Again, depending on how long after eating you go to sleep, and how long you sleep, your body is going a long time without you putting food into it. Put food in your body within the first hour of you being awake to wake up your metabolism! I highly recommend something with protein in it, like a protein shake or peanut butter and banana smoothie, or even a packet of instant oatmeal with added fiber or protein.

Your breakfast is a set up for the rest of the day. Usually how I start my day eating-wise is how I end my day… unless I start my day with a yogurt parfait and end it with 5 homemade chocolate chip cookies. It happens! But most times, if I start out eating healthy and giving myself energy, that carries through to the rest of the day and influences the rest of my choices.

I am 100% a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast.
I’ll be eating either:

  • yogurt with granola/fruit 
  • scrambled eggs with feta cheese and spinach 
  • instant oatmeal packet with added fiber/protein 
  • banana with peanut butter 


These things are so easy to throw together and you can even make eggs in the microwave. Just eat breakfast, you will literally thank yourself so much for it!!!!

No comments