How to appear as though you have your shit together in 5 easy steps

Life is hard and sometimes you can't even.

I've been actually having a really hard time this month sticking to my goals and staying motivated. I don't know if I necessarily have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but sometimes I think I do, and during this time of the year, every year, I suffer a ton of lethargy and find it hard to be engaged with things I used to once love doing. So while I'm dealing with all of that, I still want to APPEAR like I have my act together.


^ I don't wear lipstick too often, but I do love that quote.

So here is a list of the things I attempt to do when trying to make other people think I didn't just spend the six hours after my work shift laying in bed, eating slices of cheese, and binge-watching The People vs. OJ Simpson.

1. Paint your nails. Nothing says "I don't give a fuck about myself" like chipped nail polish, especially if you're like me and somehow manage to get all sorts of strange brown gunk under your finger nails. I personally think it's a pain in the ass to make sure my nails are always looking good. As I type this, I have chipped pink and glitter polish from the week before Valentine's Day on there. But I feel like it makes a huge difference in the way I feel about myself and, let's face it, there ARE people out there who will judge you by your nails.

2. Braid your hair. I've been able to braid my hair since I was a little girl, I don't even remember learning how. But it will never cease to shock me how amazed some people are by a simple French braid, or even just a regular braid! When I haven't washed or brushed my hair in three days, I pull it all to the side, do a little twisty-doo-dad with the front "bangs" section of my hair, then do a nice loose side braid with the whole thing. Or French braid the front sections to your head, that one will really impress everyone.

3. Get your glow on. I can't pretend that I'm healthy when it comes to everything and tanning is one of them. Do I know that tanning beds increase the risk of skin cancer? Yes. Do I tan? Yes. I'll be honest, it's hard to work in a gym environment and not take advantage of the extra amenities. It's like peer pressure. So a few seven minute long sessions in a tanning booth can give me a big boost of confidence and make me feel like I have my act together a little bit more. If this isn't your thing then just buy some Jergens. I do hate the way it smells though.


4. De-clutter your baggage. Purse, wallet, gym bag, duffel bag, backpack. There are receipts, food wrappers, crumbs, used up gift cards, etc just taking up space and mental energy in these places. And nothing says "my life is falling apart" to me like when I open my wallet in line at Target and my cards fall all over the floor followed by 8 receipts, 3 appointment reminder cards, 2 pairs of earrings, a pair of headphones, cracker crumbs, and a waterfall of loose change. It takes three minutes to clean up your act and feel a lot better about yourself.

5. SMILE. A change of attitude can make all the difference. It's easier said than done. People know and recognize when you're frantic and all over the place. At least I do, and I know when people recognize it in me. Take several deep breaths, repeat a mantra, do a little bit of meditation wherever you are and whatever you're doing. Do you ever just see those people who look like they have it all together because they're so calm, deliberate, and slow-paced? Strive to be this way. I know I definitely do.

Now put a smile on and go out there and look like a succeeding young adult with me!

Questions: 

  • Is there anything you do to feel calmer and more put together? 
  • How much weight do you think appearance has in feeling put together? 


No comments