What to expect at your Spinning certification!


Yesterday I went to Spinning certification class with two of my fellow coworkers!
Brief background on my Spinning experience:
I started Spinning in April 2016, so not long at all now, and before that, I was TERRIFIED to start. But the gym I work at started offering it, so I technically had to take it in order to know what I was talking about when I was recommending it to gym members.
And it was so much fun!
I mean, after getting over the initial feelings of probably-going-to-die, might-throw-up, and why-did-i-do-this-to-myself.
But honestly, it's one of the most gratifying feelings to finish an especially challenging Spin class, like a runner's high (which I've never actually experienced since I hate running).
So to expand our own knowledge, and start teaching these awesome classes ourselves, we decided to get Spinning certified!


We drove an hour and a half for our class in Newburgh, NY which was the furthest of anyone in the class! We are crazy! 

It was a long, exhausting rewarding day. Here is what to expect if you go to class to get Spinning certified: 

  1. Bring like seven water bottles. No joke, I'm a fish so I probably needed more. It's such a long day and you'll be so dehydrated if you aren't constantly drinking water.
  2. The first part of the day will be a lot of demonstrating bike set up and safety. A lot of people were pedaling on their bikes through this whole thing. OMG your butt will start hurting so badly. It doesn't make you look cooler to keep pedaling through this. Just sit on the damn ground.
  3. Bring like a hundred snacks. Unless your MI (Master Instructor) is super strict, there will be plentyyyy of opportunities to eat snacks. Fuel that body, it needs those calories so much today.
  4. Your first ride is demonstrating all the different movements in a Spin class and it's probably not going to be to music and it's probably not going to be fun. It's purely informational. But you will sweat soooo much during it.
  5. BRING EXTRA CHANGES OF CLOTHES. After your first ride, you'll have a lunch break, a LONG lecture, and then another ride. You'll want an outfit for your first ride, one to change into after that, and then one to change into on your ride home from the class itself. I cannot stress this enough unless you love sitting in a puddle of your own sweat.
  6. Try not to fall asleep during the lecture portion. Your body is going to start going into sleep mode after that effort during the first ride and after your lunch break. SIESTA MODE. I could barely keep my eyes open. I don't have any advice to help with this besides just to be aware this is when you gotta try to keep your eyes pried open.
  7. During the lecture portion, you will learn SO MUCH. Don't try to take notes on everything, just things your instructor says that resonate with you about making a profile or music choices or transitions. There's time to read the whole manual cover to cover when you get home (or before the class if you're that extra).
  8. You will think with every fiber of your being that there's no way you can do a second ride at the end of the day, but you somehow will anyways. It will be painful, euphoric, and exhilarating when it's finally over. You'll be so damn proud of yourself! I had the WORST stomach cramps during my last ride, and had to keep repeating this mantra to myself, "Pain is temporary, greatness is forever". Dramatic, I know, but it worked. 
Before: 

 After: 

After an eight hour day, we still had a two hour drive home, during which I quickly popped two Advil. I was so exhausted I honestly felt like my body was shutting down. It was one of the most tiring experiences OF MY LIFE. It'll hopefully be so worth it though, to share Spinning and the rewarding experience it carries with all my future Spin students! 


No comments