Make people glad that you passed through their life

This is a quote that I took directly from a member at my gym named Joe, who is the most happy, positive, and upbeat person I think I've ever encountered in my life. It really resonated with me and I just want to share a couple of thoughts centered around this idea.

Life can be long or it can be short. What you do with it, and the impact you have in life is completely up to you. I believe so strongly that sometime's someone's purpose in life is to make it a little bit easier for other human beings. These people are empathetic, they feel strongly the emotions of others, they want to help.

They understand the power of a kind smile.
The warmth of a gentle hug.
The importance of making other people laugh, and laughing right along.

Joe is a heavyset black man in his fifties. He's from Hawaii and he has the craziest laugh I've ever heard. He talks shit all the time about people who walk around looking like they're miserable, but he does this with a smile on his face. It's impossible to hate Joe. I'm glad that he passed through my life.

Make it your mission to be as light as a feather, to only bring happiness and joy and kindness to those whose lives you touch. At the same time, being this empathetic is so hard sometimes. You can't save everyone and you can't be weighed down by other people's heaviness. Your number one investment is yourself. But smile wider, linger longer, listen better, and make people happy to have interacted with you in some large, small, microscopic, or fleeting way. Make people glad that you passed through their life.

No comments