How To Get Out of a Major Funk



I am the Queen of Funks, I think.

That sounds so hip and jazzy, but no, I am not the Queen of FUNK (which would be fun and include a lot of shimmying and hip shakin' and saxophones). No, I am the Queen of Funks, plural.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that this happens to. Perhaps my coping and adjustment mechanisms have dwindled drastically since I graduated college. I used to be much more resilient! Deadlines didn't scare me, neither did social obligations, or downing five tequila shots before hitting the bar on a Thursday night!

But now it's so much harder for me to pull myself out of a funk.

Funks can be caused by a variety of things:

  • crappy weather that is depressing and unmotivating
  • getting sick or injured; your schedule gets all thrown off
  • having your schedule change in any way
  • getting into an argument with a loved one 
  • making a mistake at your job
  • returning from a vacation (you can read about my tips on how to survive returning from a vacation in this here blog post!)
Basically, it seems as though these things all have one common factor. They all involve having your schedule change, or having a mental/emotional monkey wrench thrown into your life. 

What can you do about it?
The reality of life is that you aren't always going to be able to control your circumstances. You can only react to the chaos. You can cry about not having enough money on your iTunes gift card to buy LEMONADE from the iTunes store. Or, you can transfer $17.99 from your savings account because you're living paycheck to paycheck and #priorities obviously include having Beyonce in your life. 

How to drag yourself out of a funk:

1. Organize your priorities. 


What are your top priorities? Saving money? Finding a new job? Just getting back into your regular work out routine? Figure out what your top 3 things are and get re-invigorated about them! These tasks shouldn't seem daunting, they should seem exciting and life-affirming. The time is going to pass anyways, so why don't you figure out exactly what you want. The first step is realizing what these things are. 


2. Set a random goal that is 100% attainable. 


It doesn't have to be a part of your grand plan, or any of your large and over-arching goals. But it has to be something you can definitely cross off your to-do list, and it will ideally give you a sense of pride. I've decided that I'm going sign up for and train for a 10K run! I've never even run in an organized 5K (although I am also doing one in June). But signing up for these babies holds you accountable. You have to pay to register after all! If I'm going to spend my hard earned pennies to run, I better train myself well enough so I'm not crawling on all fours through the finish line. 


3. Write everything down. 


Everything that I just told you? Your priorities, random goals, monthly bills, obligations, appointments, meet-ups, creative landmarks, etc etc.? Write it ALL down. I've been totally crazy with my planner situation. I bought a $75 Erin Condren planner, then stopped using it because YO, STICKERS ARE F*CKING EXPENSIVE, then bought a Moleskin and tried to bullet journal. I envy the neat freaks who live by the bullet journal, but that's honestly just too much work for me. So I'm actually going to good 'ol reliable Target TODAY to try and find a no nonsense monthly planner and some highlighters. That worked for me in college so I should've learned; if it ain't broke, don't fix it! 


4. Get yourself lookin' fine. 


I don't know about you, but pulling myself out of a funk is exponentially easier when I actually feel really good about myself. This starts from the inside out (see #9), but it doesn't hurt to aid this process from the outside in. Taking care of yourself externally can also trick you into caring about yourself internally, and if that is what it takes, then get yourself lookin' fine. Do a face mask. I know you have one that you haven't used in months! Do a hair mask. Literally just walk into your kitchen and slather coconut oil all over your hair. It makes a HUGE difference. Paint your nails. These things aren't hard, but damn, they can make a huge difference in my attitude and appreciation for myself. There's only one of you. Why would you not treat yourself with love and attention?! If you're as needy as I am, you should be doing this all the freakin' time. 


5. Talk to your friends about it. 


Your friends should be your therapists and your biggest fans. If you're in a funk, reach out to them, no matter how near or far they are. My two besties live in Boston and North Carolina and we have a group message that we are literally constantly chatting in. If I told them I was having an off day and needed some motivation/inspiration, I'd be showered with compliments involving a lot of phrases like "boss ass bitch", "slaying", and "you got dis!" I hope your friends are this awesome. 


6. Get vitamin d, SOMEHOW. 


This might be more of a personal thing, but if there are too many rainy days, I inevitably find myself in a funk. My therapist thinks I might get Seasonal Affective Disorder and be one of those people who just needs to live in a sunny environment. BRB, saving up to move to Florida right now! Sunlight and specifically vitamin D have been proven to have significant impacts on your mood and even brain functioning! If you're in a funk because of the weather, take it from me and try a daily vitamin D supplement or eat more foods that are rich in the D (tuna, salmon, cheese, and egg yolks to name a few. Dairy is also often fortified with the D). 


7. Clean your areas. 


Physical clutter = mental build ups. Those are definitely not conducive to getting yourself out of a funk. Just set some time aside to de-clutter, dust, and get rid of those random receipts, Sephora delivery boxes (oops), and dirty socks that missed the laundry basket that are just hanging around the corners of your areas. 


8. Fix your relationships. 


You can't move forward if something is holding you back. If an apology is due make it. Or if someone owes you one, ask for it. Clear the air because emotional clutter is just as harmful as physical clutter to your mental well-being. You might find that your time being stuck in a funk can decrease drastically if everything is going well in your interpersonal relationships. Spread kindness and forgiveness around like confetti y'all! 


9. Freakin' meditate. 


Feeling at peace starts from the inside out. Starting a meditation practice, even if it is only 1 minute, every other day, is better than nothing. Start small. Put your phone away, or set a timer on it for the length you'd like to be mentally ~ away ~. Listen to instrumental music, or the birds chirping outside, or nothing at all. Let your thoughts float by like clouds. Notice them, but let them pass. Getting out of a funk is about re-gaining your confidence, taking action, and feeling at peace with your path. Meditation is going to help that, in big and small ways! 


If all else fails, get this shirt. If it doesn't motivate you when you rock it in your kitchen to blend up a green smoothie and drink that sh*t while job searching, meal prepping, and face masking, I don't know what will.



Good luck with getting out of your funk! Mine was caused by a week of sickness and then a week of terrible weather and I'll tell you right now, I'm going to be implementing all of these things this week! 


No comments