How I Survived the Plague of 2016

I do not get sick often and when I do, it's bad. Very bad.

Hence the week long hiatus from this blog. I was so sick that I couldn't even bare to move my fingers. I couldn't fathom stringing together coherent sentences. What I had was worse than when I had mono in college. Type B Influenza knocked me down and curb stomped me senseless my friends.

I was only at work until 9AM on Tuesday before I knew something was wrong. I had the chills and a headache that went straight into my eye sockets. I never really get headaches either. The doctor at the walk in clinic first reprimanded me for not getting the flu shot. But I've never had the flu! Then she scared me by telling me "this is the best you're going to feel for days" and "people my age die from this". Like thanks lady, like I wasn't feeling terrible and miserable already.

Thus began the five day lay down. I feel like I honestly slept for five days straight and therefore lost basically a full week of my life. Oh well.

Here are some all star things and shows that got me through this week long hell.



The Biggest Loser
There are a ton of seasons of The Biggest Loser on Hulu and it saved me. The only bad thing was that I had terrible congestion and crying every five minutes from the show certainly did not help that. I watched a full 1.5 seasons.

Youtube
I had a plethora of Youtube videos to catch up on. I'm wicked obsessed with beauty videos so I watched about a thousand of those, followed by another thousand hip hop dance videos. So inspiring!

Lysol wipes
Miraculously, no one in my house got sick. And neither did my boyfriend, who slept with me EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. He is a clean freak though. He wiped down every surface multiple times and made me wipe my hands with Lysol wipes after each time I blew my nose.

Medical masks
He also made me wear a medical mask at all times during the first three days of my plague so like, I think that helped too.

Organic honey + lemon throat drops
Nothing helps a sore throat like lemon and honey. And my throat and chest felt like they were being ripped in half with a meat cleaver. Sorry for that imagery.

Chicken noodle soup
A classic for a reason.

Inside Amy Shumer
Laughing hurt but this helped get my mind off the fact that I hadn't seen sunshine in over 80 hours. Amy Shumer is fucking hilarious.

Bluetooth thermometer
Why use a regular thermometer when you can use a Bluetooth thermometer that syncs to your phone and records your history of temperature readings? Super handy when you're considered contagious until 24 hours without a fever, unmedicated.

Mucinex Day + Night
Dayquil and Nyquil suck, this stuff is where it's at.

Toast
My personal favorite sick food, and brings me back to elementary school days.

My boyfriend & mother
These amazing humans were literally my caretakers and I would have been a crusty old rag without them. They put a heating pad on my bag, an ice pack on my head, and a love inside my heart. Wow so cheesy. I can't help it. Their love and attention made me so grateful I was nearly brought to tears more than once.

I'm happy to be back on the blog. Writing is so cathartic that I think being away for so long is part of the reason I've been feeling so pent up and emotional. I'll be back tomorrow with how I did on my April goals and my new goals for May :)


No comments